Before You Begin Your Garage Installation
Swisstrax interlocking flooring tiles must be site conditioned at room temperature (72° F or higher) for a period of 24 hours prior to installation. It is ideal to put the tiles which will be placed at the front of the garage in the direct sunlight for a period of time prior to installation to allow the tiles to expand, especially if they will be exposed to direct sunlight when the garage door is open.
Tools you may need:
- Circular saw, jig saw or table saw
- Measuring tape
- Clear the flooring surface of any removable objects and or items.
- Sweep or vacuum any excess dirt and debris off of the flooring surface.
- In your garage stand facing your garage door opening.
- Locate the top-left corner of your garage.
*NOTE: A minimum expansion gap of ¼” (Ribtrax, Ribtrax Smooth, Sportrax) and ½” for all other styles (Diamondtrax, Floortrax, Vinyltrax) should be left at the walls and/or any other immovable objects such as cabinets, vehicle lifts, support beams, etc.
Installing first tile
- Place Tile #1 (Tile A) in the top left corner with the pegged “male” sides facing the left wall and garage walls.
- Remember to leave a 1/4″ expansion gap be tween the tile and wall.
Installing Rows of Tile
- Work left to right, interlock Tile B with Tile A making sure that loops and pegs are facing the same direction.
- Continue with your first row until the right wall is reached.
- Return to the left wall and repeat steps 4-5 until the first three rows are completed.
*NOTE: If cutting is necessary, refer to the “Cutting Recommendations” portion of the Install Instructions.
In your delivery, you received either looped “female” edges or pegged “male” edges
- Following completion of the first three rows, connect the edges to the first installed row nearest to the garage door entry.
- Edges are only needed between the garage door rails. Refer to the “Edge Installation” portion of Install Instructions.
Position the edges
- This step begins by closing your garage door.
- Gently push the first 3 rows of tile with attached edges up against garage door for a precise fit.
Option #1: Female Edge + Tile
- Lift up tile and align the female/looped edge with the male/pegs of the tile, and snap into place.
Option #2: Male Edge + Tile
- Hover above and align the edge male/pegs with the female/looped of the tile, and snap into place.
Attaching the edge
- With pegs and loops aligned, begin by pressing the sides of the tile into the edge, working your way to the center. This may take a little pressure and you will feel a “snap” when the tile is attached to the edge.
*NOTE: Edges may have to be cut to fit within garage door rails.
- Resume steps 4-5 until the back wall is reached.
- Be sure to check the alignment of your floor as you progress.
- Cutting may be necessary along the back wall to complete install!
- All Swisstrax® products can be cut with an electrical saw such as a circular saw, jig saw, table saw, etc.
- A fine toothed blade is recommended.
*NOTE: When making your cuts, be sure to position your tile accordingly to ensure it interlocks with the rest of your flooring. Refer to the tool manufacturer’s safety guidelines.
*WARNING: Do not walk on tiles that are not interlocked together as they can be a dangerous slipping hazard. When installing your floor, be cautious of Swisstrax tiles placed on top of one another.
GET A QUOTE
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS ARE SAYING
Garage flooring tiles are an investment, they transform your space by increasing safety, reducing fatigue, protecting your floor and reflecting your personal style. Cheap plastic tiles focus on delivering the lowest price possible and are prone to breaking, cracking and fading. We don’t focus on price per square foot, we focus on delivering interlocking tiles that last a lifetime with industrial grade design and materials. We stand by our products with a 15-year warranty and welcome you to ask any of our customers.